How you start your day has a huge impact on how you will feel, how productive you’ll be, and what your attitude will be for the rest of the day. So it’s pretty important to cultivate a kind of healthy morning routine.
For some of you, this might sound like hell – you prefer to roll out of bed, pull on clothes in 5 minutes and fully wake up on your way to work. But honestly, whether you’re a self-proclaimed ‘morning person’, or can’t stand that you have to wake up before 10am most days, there are several easy, quick ways to get a magical start to your day.
- STEP 1: Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier than you really need. You can use this extra time to do all the following steps!
- STEP 2: Self-reflect. Take a minute to set your intentions for the day. Think about what you’re hoping to achieve today, observe what you’re anxious about and what you’re excited for. Focus on your breathing.
- STEP 3: Stretch. You can do a full-on yoga routine if you like, but even just a few simple arm and leg stretches, reaching down to touch your toes, rolling your neck a couple times will get the blood flowing, wake up your muscles and leave you feeling more alive.
- STEP 4: Refresh yourself. Maybe you’re a morning shower person, or maybe you prefer to bathe at night and just wash your face in the morning. Either way, do this mindfully. Use your washing time to focus on your breathing and cleanse your mind as well as your sleepy eyes.
- STEP 5: Have breakfast. No matter how little time you have, always get something inside you before you set off. It can be a full bowl of porridge, or some eggs and bacon if you have time, but even just a quick glass of juice or a coffee or a piece of fruit will take 3 minutes and will perk you up.
- STEP 6: Wake up your mind. You might want to do this whilst doing some of the other steps to save time. Put on a podcast or a radio show, or read an article or blog post. I personally find reading the news a little too intense and often depressing for the very first thing in the morning. If you’re the same, try finding some podcasts or YouTube videos about your interests that you can put on in the background of your morning routine.
- STEP 7: Have relaxed conversation. The morning is not the time to get into dramatic discussions or arguments with your loved ones or those you live with. When you cross paths in the morning, discuss anything that needs to be discussed for the day, but otherwise keep things light and chilled. You all want to have a magic morning here!
- STEP 8: Stay disconnected. If your job allows it, try and keep your phone off or don’t check it till you leave. Your morning time is short and precious and just for you. Emails, messages, missed calls can wait till till you leave the house.
Now, was that so hard?
Having a magic morning is possible every day if you take an optimistic attitude and start your day with the intention that it will be a good one.